SHOW BLOGGER TOOLBAR

Friday 8 August 2008

Fatsarazzi Interview

Its Saturday night (Trading Places holdtight ATCN blog),
I'm sitting on a rather large speaker, with my favorite lady Gynelle.

When we get offered a photo by the legend Fatsarazzi (who's wearing the most serious jacket ever), in my reluctance I place my hand over my face
(you know secret identity and all of that) and he snaps and I think its all over
but no he then manages another picture without me knowing. SHOCK horror!

Not many people can claim to do that except our very own Matt B
so I think let me go over and introduce myself and found out he was a extremely nice guy.

After that I just let loose on the dance floor like bobby brown with 6 white lines in front of him.

The night was over and 2 days later i thought I'd chase my picture up with the man over Myspace and from that chasing I managed to get a nice interview with the OG photographer master/ the Mr Miyagi of the London urban scene, the main man himself Fatsarazzi

Enough of my garbage talk and more of what you want . . .



You're part of and considered to be one of the pioneers in today’s “London’s cool urban scene” (I hate to put it like that).
But what keeps you captivated by it and still involved after all these years?

Thank you for not calling it streetwear. Damn that is a good & tough question as it is hard to answer, as there are many things that keep me captivated. If I could put it into one thing it would probably be the sheer freedom of expression, ok 2 things...Inspiration...I am inspired everyday I walk the streets. London gives you a confidence to be different, to be yourself, to take the 2 things & apply them. I see it & feel it & when that stops...I will stop to.

Are there any trends or brands, in the current Street wear scene that you particularly appreciate or dislike?

I just like the way people are mixing it up to make it their own & really there is not that much that I do not like. Ok one thing, I wish some of the 'Urban Labels' out there would make Ladies clothing too. They should pay a little more attention to what Ladies are wearing or want to be wearing, & stop trying to make the men's a little more lady like... It's not working with the Ladies I know.

In a day and age, where by SLR’s and digital camera’s are so accessible and affordable do you feel something special has been lost in the art form of photography?

Never... my photography teacher once said, 'photography is not perfect, & it never should be'. there are many ways you can read into that. I am a great fan of new tech & champion it everyday, but it is still about the subject matter & composition...establishing your eye and your light. When I started my site & again started snapping while out, there was just me, & maybe one other. Today there are so many people with cameras getting their view point documented, that is the way of things, the way of the web. Sorry got a little Star Wars there. But, it is crazy & that is the challenge...that is my inspiration to maintain my eye & keep my game going.

Favorite item of clothing, bought, found or given?

Probably my Denim Waistcoat that I bought in Venice Beach back in 1992. It has all these amazing patches all over it...a real find. But that smoking Jacket that I found is pretty dope too.

Which side of your work life do you prefer, the photographic side or the fashion side?

They both meld into one, but I have to honest...Photography wins everytime...it is the Food that Feeds my Inspiration.

Who was your personal inspiration growing up in the design scene?

There were too many, but if I could say London...is that ok, I owe this city a lot.

Who was your mentor?

I know this sounds really silly, but my Mother & Father. They have been in the business for years. My mother Jubilee was living a very similar lifestyle to me back in late 60's early 70's...or is it I am living a similar life to her? She was a bit of a face back then...a lot of it rubbed off on me.

What’s the best advice you’ve been given?

Be Yourself, & be Confident, not Egotistical.

What advice would you give to a young photographer?

Keep at it & believe in yourself, never be afraid to learn from others & try what they have done. By doing this & making mistakes, can only make you better...& more confident in your talent.

Are there any specific projects you have coming up, that you could share with the readers?

Nothing specific so to speak, but I got a few ideas in my note book & some eating away at my brain...just need the time & finance ha ha ha.

One last question MC Donald's or KFC?
(don’t try and lie that you don’t eat fast food ! ! !)

Ok, ok, ok...it would have to be Mickey D's, because I do not do Chicken...yeah I am Nandos nightmare.

Be Well.

To learn more about the man that is Fatsarazzi . .
(CLICK) for website
(CLICK) for blog


Loving bntl like a fat kid loves cake

5 comments:

s said...

yesssss lego.

yesssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gynelle said...

Big big post Lego

Props!!

@misterlego said...

appreciated momies ! ! !

(and kesi i can so hear you in my head saying yessssss)

BIG L said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

good interview lego