SHOW BLOGGER TOOLBAR

Friday 19 September 2008

Massive. Gin. Hangover... London Design Week

Antics. Last night still has me in giggles like a school girl on Gatorade. Sometimes the Ditch really pulls through. Trendies, Suits, Drens, Down & Outs... they're all here... but there are also a bunch of sound folk scattered about like snaggers on the pavement after a brawl. Old and new boat races were in attendance last night, and the games defs ensued...

Some good peoples (thanks Khali) and I reached the New Designers / Bombay Sapphire Designer Glass Comp at VU, which despite my incredibly cynical outlook towards design was actually darn inspiring. Of course about 80 % of the selection wasn't, but some of the work I saw defs struck a chord

Designers of note include... James Plant with his dope fishing rod forward slash pendant light complete with winch to adjust the height of the bulb. Peep the link...

Sarah Colsen and her collection of miniatures... which while observing I struggled to work out why I liked so much until I read her book and saw the line " (this collection) questions the translational technique of the human brain". I have to agree. The lil' things are an oddity but they make for a dope installation

...and easily my favourite - Yunju Lee, whose clever jewellery is straight up nang and needs no explanation... although you can only see two examples of the work on her web presence but her portfolio book was tiiiight, and I can only imagine she'll have orders flying in so watch this girl raise up!

.... oh and the framed sketches of the machine melange on the wall opposite Yunji's work I also rate very highly, but I can't credit the artist as I didn't catch their name. Apologies

The bishion is free and open to everyone from today and makes for a worthy trip if you're local. To see the VU space itself is a smasher if you've not already and from a man who usually doesn't make it out to enough galleries and what haves I'd say there's something for everyone at this so reach!

Following the free gin, a temperate discourse about graf with Jim (who painted the wall for the event)... and a heavy linkage with Bristol leg end Roly... The troupe and I rolled round to Uncle Garfield's Cordy House which hosts the Shambala Art Exhibition. This one feat. a whole gaggle of established artists who were commissioned to paint and work live on the site for the Shambala festival, which I hadn't hearda but I guess it ran in the summer...



Still, the work is hmmmm yess! I liked Zoot's posters. A bit overkill the newsprint ad forward slash Faile-esque forward slash re-photocopy approach... but some details were nice, and I have no doubt this technique still has gas if the right commentary is being made! I'm all about a message, art for art's sake is dank

Some good folk were to be found at this one too, mad ups to everyone I scowled at, chewed the fat wid or shook a leg with. I'm too doondaas to dangle a camera round my neck when I go out but Roly acquired a Polaroid from somewhere and following some back pocket storage I have this lil gem for yall amusement. Shout to Mungo's beard game!



After Cordy it all went a smidge blurry. One too many complimentary bevs and an empty stomach brought out festival Maxwell. For those who have witnessed, these can be hilarious times. Shout to everyone who bore the brunt of my nihilistic conversational splurge and mad love to all boats old & new that were out

shiv!... did I forget to mention, the whole night I rocked a BNTL crew tee (as modelled by Hassan) that I printed at ELP (part of Space) studios the day before... part of a design I've concocted that will be seen proper on the site in the coming week. shout me and let me know what you're thunking! schlafe

'til the next

toocoldtohold x

7 comments:

@witts_bntl said...

incredibly well written, great post

max volume said...

much obliged sir

Elle Bee said...

You were mad merry (for want of a better word) last night. Big up your chest!

Anonymous said...

massssive post! gutted i never came out that night.
when we go into the print again?

Matthew Schnickens said...

Sick post Maxwell.

Anonymous said...

heh heh... baaaaare jokes... and yeah, if anoyone's down a polaroid camera, hit me up, i still got...

Tina Turnover said...

hahahahahhahahaahhahhahhahahahha. You killed me that night!

Beard/Hat combo worked well with a side of drunk.

xxx